THE DANGER OF HENNA TATTOOS.

PAY--16-year-old-prom-queen-left-with-chemical-burns-after-getting-holiday-henna-tattoo-3

A picture of Mary while she was on vacation in Turkey when she got the Henna tattoo.

This isn’t the first time we’ve heard of henna tattoos turning temporary fun into permanent nightmares. A teenager who was on vacation in Turkey decided to get a dreamcatcher tattoo on her leg and it ended up burning her skin and scarring her for life.

Mary Bates, 16, thought it was all fun and games to get a henna tattoo done, but a week later she had the piece retouched and hours later it began to seep and swell. While on her flight back home she noticed that her skin then began to crack, and when she went to the doctors they immediately referred Mary to the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital specialist burns service where she received treatment.

PAY--16-year-old-prom-queen-left-with-chemical-burns-after-getting-holiday-henna-tattoo-2

The teenager, from St Albans, Hertfordshire, has since learned that the henna ink contained paraphenylenediamine (PPD) – a strictly controlled substance in the EU.

Her skin is now left permanently damaged from chemical burns and she’s afraid that it may jeopardize the future of her modeling career.